i‑Learner Education Centre

Steps to Success » DSE Essentials

The Extended Modules of DSE Mathematics: Making a Wise Choice

Being one of the first batch of candidates for DSE Mathematics, I’ve studied and taught the extended modules for over a decade. Many friends and students have sought advice when considering their choices, and there are a few key points to consider.

One main reason to study an extended module is to increase your chance of university admission. More than 80% of UGC-funded bachelor programs include M1/M2 as a weighted subject in their admission score formula. The weighting is even heavier for highly competitive programs like medicine and quantitative finance. Certain university courses require a specific module choice. I achieved a 5* in the extended module, Algebra and Calculus (M2), and it earned me a place on my dream university course. Take a look at the table at the bottom of this article to see which courses require specific module choices.

If you don’t have a clear picture of your future at the moment, it’s best to choose the module that best fits your learning style. Calculus and Statistics (M1) emphasises the applications of Maths rather than theories. It often asks what-questions and requires you to find numerical answers to real life scenarios. It helps you prepare for jobs that utilise mathematical tools in research and analysis. By contrast, Algebra and Calculus (M2) emphasises abstract concepts and theories, and it teaches students how to derive unexpected relations from known facts. It often asks why/how-questions. This module prepares you for fields that are highly quantitative and based on rigorous scientific models.

If you are interested in math or careers associated with numbers and data, you will never regret choosing the extended modules. Have fun!

Deciding between M1 and M2:

I DO know what I want to study at university. I want to choose DSE topics that help me best prepare.

I want to study:

• Business Administration and Accounting
  • Social Sciences
  • Medicine and Health Sciences

=> M1 Calculus and Statistics

I want to study:

• Applied Sciences
  • Engineering
  • Mathematics and Sciences

=> M2 Algebra and Calculus

I DON’T know what I want to study at university yet. I want to choose DSE topics that fit my learning style.

I enjoy:

• Understanding application over theory
  • Finding solutions to real-life problems
  • Researching and analysing

=> M1 Calculus and Statistics

I enjoy:

• Thinking about abstract theories
  • Finding out the how and why of problems
  • Calculating numbers and following models

=> M2 Algebra and Calculus