i‑Learner Education Centre

Teacher Diaries

Teacher Diaries: Ms. Jaye – Treasures

When I was writing on this topic, I tried to think of the things that I treasured. Then one question came to my mind: ‘Is there anything that isn’t worth treasuring?’

We have always been told that we have to treasure our family, friends, health, lovers, etc. The reason is obvious – all these can give us what we want, such as pleasure and support. But what about the things that are often considered unpleasant, say pain and suffering? Does neglecting or avoiding them do more good than harm?

Though we may be unwilling to admit, pain and suffering can actually be beneficial to us, depending on our attitude towards them. For instance, an illness reminds us about the needs of our bodies, mental pain implies an opportunity to grow and an enemy allows us to reflect on our behaviors. Without the so-called ‘negative’ or ‘unpleasant’ things, we won’t be able to enjoy the positive or grow.

Therefore, whenever my students are experiencing sadness or facing difficulties, I would encourage them by showing them the positive side of the situation, as I do to myself. Everything can be treasure if you decide to treasure it. It’s all a matter of attitude. Life can always be enjoyable.