i‑Learner Education Centre

Steps to Success » Creativity

Increasing Creativity in the Home

Research has shown that creativity is crucial for children’s cognitive and social development. Creativity trains children to think and solve problems in unique ways. It allows them to express themselves freely while also reducing stress and anxiety. It is also an important component of school interviews and English language exams!

During my classes, I always make sure that my students are not only working on their English skills but that they also have free time to explore and create.

Since creativity has lots of benefits, why not nurture it at home as well? Below are a few simple ways you can do so:

Read and discuss

Reading sparks creativity in children as they try to visualise stories and brainstorm possible scenarios and endings. During my kindergarten classes, I always set aside a time to read books with my students. You can increase creativity at home by reading stories with your child and asking them open-ended and thought-provoking questions like:

• ‘What would you do if you were this character?’
  • ‘How do you think this character is feeling here?’
  • ‘If you were in their place, how would you feel?’
  • ‘How do you think the story will end?’

Storytelling

Stories don’t have to come from books. Kids are excellent at making them up themselves, and this is an excellent creativity exercise. Show your child a series of pictures (usually four) and ask them to make up a story based on the pictures. The ‘Picture Story’ exercise from the Cambridge Movers speaking exam is great for this. A more creative way is to let your child draw pictures for a story themselves! In my K3-P1 interview class, my students always have a great time doing this. Not only is this practice good for increasing creativity, but it’s also beneficial for English language exams and school interviews!

Encourage creative writing

During my writing classes, I’ve noticed that children love to spill their imagination and creativity on paper. Set a particular period of time, maybe once a week, where children can write about anything, without guidelines or boundaries. You can then compile their pieces of writing and turn them into a book! This is a great way for children to become creative thinkers and writers. Knowing the importance of school-based writing and creative writing, our Love to Write courses at i-Learner strikes a perfect balance of both.

Encourage open-ended games and toys

There are several games and toys which encourage creativity and imagination. For example, games like Minecraft allow children to construct useful tools for survival and to think of creative ways to solve problems. Toys like Lego, blocks, puzzles, moulding clay and play dough, dress-up materials, etc. are great tools for encouraging creativity in children.

Most of all, creativity thrives best in a relaxed and stress-free environment. Remember to give your child space and time during the day where they are free to marvel at and express the bright galaxies in their heads.